The Downloadables homepage
The Library's Overdrive collection includes audiobooks that can be checked out and listened to on many smartphones, tablets, and music players. Audiobooks can be downloaded with Windows computers or Macs.
- I’ve never worked with downloadable audiobooks before, how do I get started?
A good starting point is the “Help” button in the upper right-hand side of the Overdrive homepage. This will lead you to information about working with the Overdrive app, checking out titles, and managing your account. And be sure to check out our “New User Guides” for detailed step-by-step directions!
- What formats are available?
The collection is comprised of MP3 audiobooks.
- What types of devices are compatible with the audiobooks?
- Most well-known computers, tablets, smartphones, and MP3 players. Please refer to the Compatible Devices page for a definitive list.
- Do I need any special software to listen to the audiobooks?
Yes, depending on your device, you'll need to download either the Overdrive app or the Overdrive desktop app. Details about the software requirements are available on the Compatible Devices page.
- Can I burn any of the audiobooks to CD?
Yes, some titles can be burned to CD. Additional information about burning audiobooks to CD is available in the Downloadables help pages.
- Does the Library lend out MP3 players?
No. However, MP3 players can be purchased from the Library for $36.00.
- Do I need a library card to check out audiobooks?
Yes, you will need your library card and PIN. Your card must be in good standing. If you don't have a card, you can apply for a card online. The Library now offers "Downloadable Only" library cards.
- How can I search for audiobooks?
Search for titles in the Overdrive website, our Cincinnati Library Mobile app, and our catalog.
- Do I need to be at the library to download an audiobook?
No, titles can be downloaded from the comfort of home 24/7!
- Can I accumulate overdue fines?
Because the titles are automatically returned, you will never be charged any overdue fees.
- How many titles can be checked out at one time?
Up to 40 titles at a time. Once you’ve reached this limit, you will not be able to check out any additional titles until one of your current books has expired.
- How long is the loan period?
Audiobooks can be borrowed for 7, 14, or 21 days. You can set a personalized default loan period on a format by format basis. This can be done when you download a title or by clicking on the “Account” link in the upper right-hand corner of the Downloadables homepage, then selecting “Settings.”
- Can I renew the audiobooks?
- Titles can be renewed once during the original checkout period if no one else is on the waiting list. More details about the renewal process available here.
On the due date, the title is automatically returned. The digital file will remain on your computer, MP3 player, etc. but it will no longer be readable. Audiobooks downloaded with the Overdrive app can be returned early.
- What happens if a book I want is checked out to someone else?
If all available copies of a title are checked out, you must put your name on a waiting list. You will be notified by email when the title is ready to be downloaded.
- What if I have technical questions or problems?
Extensive help files are available via the “Help” link in the upper right-hand side of the Overdrive homepage. You can also use the “Support” link to send questions via email, or contact the Library's Virtual Information Center by phone: 513-369-6900.