The Downloadables homepage
The Library's Overdrive collection includes eBooks that can be checked out and read on a wide range of tablets, smartphones, and computers.
- I've never worked with eBooks before, how do I get started?
A good starting point is the “Help” button in the upper right-hand side of the Overdrive homepage. This will lead you to information about working with the free software or app, checking out titles, and managing your account. And be sure to check out our “New User Guides” for detailed step-by-step directions!
- What formats are available?
The collection is comprised of EPUB, Kindle, PDF, and Overdrive READ eBooks.
- What types of devices are compatible with the eBooks?
Most well-known computers, tablets, and smartphones. Please refer to the Compatible Devices page for a definitive list.
- Do I need any special software to read the eBooks?
Depending on the format of the book and your device, you may need to download either the Adobe Digital Editions software, the Overdrive app, or the Kindle reading app. Details about the software requirements are available on the Compatible Devices page. Overdrive READ titles do not require special software--they are browser-based ebooks.
- What ereaders would you recommend?
There are a number of factors to consider, including battery life, price, weight/size, etc. Here are some useful buyer's guides: Consumer Reports, and CNET. Don't forget to check the Compatible Devices page before making a purchase!
- Does the Library lend out ereaders?
- Do I need a library card to check out eBooks?
Yes, you will need your library card and PIN. Your card must be in good standing. If you don't have a card, you can apply for one online. The Library now offers "Downloadable Only" library cards.
- How can I search for eBooks?
Search for titles in the Overdrive website, our Cincinnati Library Mobile app, and our catalog.
- Do I need to be at the library to download an eBook?
No, titles can be downloaded from the comfort of home 24/7!
- Can I accumulate overdue fines?
Because the titles are automatically returned, you will never be charged any overdue fees.
- How many titles can be checked out at one time?
Up to 40 titles at a time. Once you've reached this limit, you will not be able to check out any additional titles until one of your current books has expired or been returned.
- How long is the loan period?
Ebooks can be borrowed for 7, 14, or 21 days. You can set a personalized default loan period on a format by format basis. This can be done when you download a title or by clicking on the “Account” link in the upper right-hand corner of the Overdrive homepage, then selecting “Settings.”
- Can I renew eBooks?
- Titles can be renewed once during the original checkout period if no one else is on the waiting list. More details about the renewal process available here.
- How do I return the eBooks?
On the due date, the title is automatically returned. The digital file will remain on your device. but it will no longer be readable. Titles can be returned early using Adobe Digital Editions, the Overdrive app, or via the "Manage Your Kindle" section on Amazon's website.
- What happens if a book I want is checked out to someone else?
If all available copies of a title are checked out, you must put your name on a waiting list. You will be notified by email when the title is ready to be downloaded.
- What if I have technical questions or problems?
Extensive help files are available via the “Help” link in the upper right-hand side of the Overdrive homepage. You can also use the “Support” link to send questions via email, or contact the Library's Virtual Information Center by phone: 513-369-6900.