Fifty Five+ · Retirement Resources
Use our collection of books, databases and websites to make informed decisions for retirement planning.
Newspaper & Magazine Articles
Magazines and newspapers (such as AARP, Your Money, and the Wall Street Journal) are a great source of reliable, up-to-the-minute information about retirement planning. To access cover-to-cover versions of these magazines, have your library card number and PINhandy and visit the following resources:
- ProQuest. Full-text articles from thousands of magazines and newspapers, including The New York Times and the Wall Street Journal.
- MasterFile Premier. Full-text articles from thousands of magazines covering virtually every subject area of general interest.
Retirement Planning Websites
Access websites that offer retirement planning information on topics ranging from 401(k) plans to information about social security. Here are some that we particularly like:
- 10 Ways To Prepare For Retirement. The Department of Labor provides ideas for retirement planning.
- What You Should Know About Your Retirement Plan. Information from the Employee Benefits Security Administration that covers different types of retirement plans, when and how to receive benefits, monitoring your plan, and changes that affect your retirement benefit.
- AARP: Retirement Planning. Social Security benefits and retirement calculators, articles from experts, places to retire, etc.
Recommended Reading & Viewing
There are many titles in our collection about a wide range of retirement-related issues. Here are some titles to get you started:
- The Smart Woman's Guide to Planning for Retirement: How to Save for Your Future Today by Mary Hunt
- How to Retire the Cheapskate Way: The Ultimate Cheapskate's Guide to a Better, Earlier, Happier Retirement by Jeff Yeager
- Control your Retirement Destiny: Achieving Financial Security Before the Big Transition by Dana Anspach
- The Bogleheads' Guide to Retirement Planning by Taylor Larimore
- The Boomer's Guide to a Worry-free Retirement: Sleep-well Investment Strategies by Thomas F. Helbig
- The AARP Retirement Survival Guide: How to Make Smart Financial Decisions in Good Times and Bad by Julie Jason
- Leap! What Will We Do With the Rest of Our Lives? by Sara Davidson
- Your Nest Egg Game Plan: How to Get Your Finances Back on Track and Create a Lifetime Income Stream by Phil Fragasso, Craig L. Israelsen
- How to Retire Happy, Wild, and Free: Retirement Wisdom That You Won't Get from Your Financial Advisor by Ernie J. Zelinski
To find more titles, try searching our catalog with one of these subject headings:
Still Need Help?
The Ask a Librarian page lists all the different ways you can get assistance!