Every year, library staff answer thousands of questions on business-related topics from our customers. Although we still use traditional print resources, the majority of these questions are now answered with the assistance of our collection of online databases.
Why use a database instead of searching Google? Information in databases has been reviewed and edited by experts and comes from reliable, authoritative sources. Using a database instead of Google saves you time and gives you search results that are accurate, objective, and current. Most of them offer handy features, such as allowing you to email articles to yourself, save your search results to a special folder, or create a bibliography.
And guess what? There’s no charge for using them! You can access them 24/7 from the comfort of your home or office—all you need to use them is your library card number and PIN.
Following are the most heavily used resources in our collection. In addition to a brief description of each database, you’ll find some examples of the types of questions they can be used to answer.
Reference USA offers detailed information on millions of U.S. and Canadian companies, and households. You can search the business database by company name, sales volume, SIC code, product line, or geographic region. The residential database can be searched by name, city, state, or phone number. Information about over 600,000 healthcare providers is also available.
- How can I find the names of pharmaceutical companies located in Ohio, Kentucky, and Indiana?
- I need to identify the parent company of the Batesville Casket Co.
- Where can I get a list of small businesses, with earnings less than $500,000, in West Chester?
- How many households are on Montgomery Road?
Business & Company Resource Center
In the Business & Company Resource Center you’ll find detailed information on national and international companies and associations, investment reports, brand and product information, market share data, and articles from business magazines.
- Who are the top 10 food processing companies in the world?
- I need an up-to-date business analysis of Avon Products.
- I’m looking for an article I started to read in Business Week magazine about companies using Twitter to promote their products.
Use DemographicsNow to access timely, accurate, and comprehensive market information analyses to help better understand your business and consumer opportunities. It includes current and past U.S. Census data, including data collected from the 1980, 1990, 2000, and 2007 with 2012 projections. Create unlimited custom reports using thousands of variables and benefit from advanced features such as: demographic maps and reports for all U.S. geographic regions and addresses; geographic analysis based on custom radii, custom drive times, counties, census tracts, U.S. places, designated market areas, metropolitan statistical areas, zip codes, etc.; and pre-formatted summary, comparison and rank reports.
- I need to know how much people in Hamilton County spend on gasoline and oil.
- I'm thinking of starting a Hispanic newspaper. How big is the potential audience in Cincinnati?
- How many sales professionals are there in zip code 45227?
Small Business Resource Center
The Small Business Resource Center offers users content that covers all major areas of starting and running a business, including: accounting, finance, human resources, management, marketing, pricing, product development, tax planning, wages/salaries, etc. The database includes articles from nearly 200 business journals, links to authoritative websites, and hundreds of sample business plans from the Business Plans Handbook Series.
- I'm thinking about going into the restaurant business. Where can I find out more about current trends in that industry for my business plan?
- I need to see an example of a business plan for a bicycle shop.
- I need a collection of free business forms. Where can I find one?
We hope you’ll take a few minutes to review the Library’s impressive array of business resources available on our website. We’re your connection to online business information!