Looking for an interesting new book to read but not sure where to start? Or maybe you need some background information about your bookclub’s next pick? Our collection of databases includes online resources to help readers connect with great books!
All you need is your library card number and
NoveList Plus and NoveList K-8 Plus
NoveList Plus covers both fiction and nonfiction and offers lots of great features, including:
- plot summaries
- book reviews
- series information
- descriptions of the writing style and story type
For every title you search, NoveList Plus will recommend 9 more titles you might like. Or you can choose the subjects, genres, storylines, or aspects of style you would like to match.
Trying to find a book without knowing the author or title? NoveList Plus lets you perform basic and advanced searches by subject or genre, and offers other helpful search methods:
- words used in reviews (great for those scraps of remembered info)
- Dewey numbers for nonfiction
- author’s gender, nationality, and cultural identity
- appeal factors (this features tries to answer the question, “What makes this book a good read?”)
Not sure what you want? NoveList Plus has many browsing features as well, including:
- book discussion guides
- feature articles about favorite authors
- booklists for popular genres
NoveList K-8 Plus is similar to NoveList Plus, with additional features for children and teens:
- reading levels
- subjects and genre guides to children’s literature
- reading tips for parents
- quick book talks to hook potential readers
Books & Authors
The Books & Authors database also includes thousands of fiction and nonfiction titles, with an emphasis on:
- books recommended by librarians or other experts.
As in NoveList Plus, you can perform basic and advanced searches by:
- character name
- full-text keyword,
You can browse or search by genres and subgenres, look through hundreds of booklists in the Expert Picks section, or use the “Who?What?When?Where?” feature to specify character types, settings and subjects of the book you’d like to read.
Once you find the title you’re interested in, Books & Authors offers
- plot summaries
- character, genre, setting, and series information
- links to professional book reviews
- recommended read-a-likes chosen by Books & Authors’ editors
- ratings and reviews posted by other readers
- author biographies
- critical material from literary encyclopedias
Look for the “Check the Library Catalog” or “Available at your library” link to go straight from your search in NoveList Plus or Books & Reading to our online catalog. When you’re searching our catalog, you’ll notice content from NoveList at the bottom of our records.
If you need more reading recommendations, call or stop by your local library and one of our staff members will be happy to assist you!