The Affordable Care Act (ACA) was passed by Congress and signed into law on March 23, 2010. On October 1, 2013, open enrollment in the Health Insurance Marketplace begins for coverage starting as early as January 2014. We've identified a number of resources to help you understand and navigate the new health insurance options.
Understanding the Affordable Care Act
- HealthCare.gov. Learn about the health insurance marketplace and new coverage options. Also available in Spanish.
- WebMD: Health Care Reform. Quick start guide, overview of the basics, insurance cost calculator, enrollment checklists, and more.
- Interact for Health. A wealth of information about this complex law written just for consumers.
- Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation: For Consumers: Understanding Heath Reform. A good starting point for familiarizing yourself with the basics of the new law. Includes a subsidy calculator, FAQs, and a step-by-step guide through the options and requirements for health coverage.
- Consumer Reports. Download their free guide ("Seven Things You Need to Know") about heath care reform.
- AARP Health Law Answers. This site includes a 7 step tool that explains how the ACA will affect you and your family, FAQs, and a glossary of health care coverage terms. Also available in Spanish.
- AARP: Health Law Fact Sheets. These fact sheets cover the basics, the law and specific populations, provisions and the law, the law and Medicare, and small business concerns. Selected fact sheets are available in Spanish.
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. Key features of the Affordable Care Act and fact sheets.
- Health Insurance Basics. Nineteen FAQs that pertain to the ACA.
- Ohio Department of Insurance. FAQs for individuals, seniors, and employers.
Telephone assistance from trained Health Insurance Marketplace customer service representatives is available 24/7 at 1-800-318-2596 (TTY: 1-855-889-4325). You can also chat online with a representative from Healthcare.gov.
- HealthCare.gov. Ohio residents must use the federal exchange to apply for coverage, compare plans, and enroll. You can apply as early as October 1, 2013.
- HealthCare.gov: Find Local Help. Enter your city and state or zip code to identify consumer assistance organizations in the Cincinnati area. Also available in Spanish.
- Ohioforhealth.org. Site supported by the Ohio Association of Foodbanks, the main Affordable Health Care Act Navigator for Ohio. They also staff a hotline: 1-800-648-1176.