with pastry chef Stefan Skirtz of S&J Café
As part of a festive Mardi Gras celebration, members of The Greater Cincinnati Retail Bakers Association will construct, ice, decorate, and serve Ohio's Largest King Cake at the Main Library on Saturday, Febrary 2, from 1:00-4:00 p.m.
Some of the lucky attendees will randomly receive a “bubble gum coin” in their cake slice and win one of 500 Mardi Gras prizes, including teddy bears, beads, and paczkis. Twelve grand prize King Cakes (donated by the participating area bakers) will also be given away at the event. In addition, there will be two cooking demos:
- Pastry Chef Stefan Skirtz, will dish out tips on how to prepare Bananas Foster. Afterwards, he’ll offer samples of his tasty creation. Stefan is the chef and owner of the S&J Café at the Main Library and the S&J Bakery and Café at Findlay Market.
- Award-winning chef Jon V. Diebold will give a Cajun seafood demonstration showcasing the techniques he uses as chef and owner of the Washington Platform Saloon & Restaurant downtown.
Other highlights include music performances by the Faux Frenchmen, the crowning of the Mardi Gras King & Queen (Fox19’s Dan Wells and Katy Morgan), and displays of the Library’s popular cookbook collection. The Library Friends Shop on the Mezzanine will join the Mardi Gras fun as well. Receive a coupon worth 10-50% off your purchase of $10 or more in the Gift Shop!
Schedule of Events
- 1:00 p.m.: Construction of Ohio's Largest King Cake
- 1:00 p.m.: Mardi Gras King and Queen crowned
- 1:00 p.m.: Music with the Faux Frenchmen
- 2:00 p.m.: Mardi Gras cooking demos
- 3:00 p.m.: Ohio's Largest King Cake samples served
- 3:00 p.m.: Music with the Faux Frenchmen
To find out how to make the best Mardi Gras dishes, come to the Library. Our extensive cookbook collection consists of more than 12,000 titles spanning the early nineteenth century through the present and includes many of the classics. It is used as a resource by many chefs from around the area and contains titles from local, national and international experts. Whether you are looking for books on baking a kings cake, mixing up that favorite cocktail, or Cajun, Creole, Louisiana and New Orleans cuisine, we have a cookbook for it.
As they say in New Orleans, “Laissez les bons temps rouler”… Let the good times roll!
The following organizations for their support for this event: The Greater Cincinnati Retail Bakers Association, S&J Café, Washington Platform Saloon & Restaurant amd the Friends of the Public Library of Cincinnati and Hamilton County.