- Sites by Subject · Research Databases · Dictionaries & Encyclopedias
- Sites by Subject · Research Databases · Language Instruction
- Alta Vista Translations
- The "Babelfish" translation system translates 5 languages: English, French, German, Portuguese, Spanish, and Italian (best for translating words and not concepts, phrases or sentences).
- The American-British British-American Dictionary
- Translate words and phrases in English from both sides of the Atlantic.
- The American Sign Language Browser
- Animated images illustrate gestures for thousands of ASL words and phrases (Quicktime required).
- Citation Styles Handbook: APA
- Bibliographical formatting rules for the American Psychological Association (APA) citation style.
- Citation Styles Handbook: MLA
- Bibliographical formatting rules for the Modern Language Association (MLA) citation style.
- dict.cc: English - German Dictionary
- An online English-German dictionary which invites contributions from users
- Forest of Rhetoric
- Guide to the terms of classical and renaissance rhetoric.
- The Grammar Handbook
- The Writer's Workshop of the University of Illinois maintains this site which explains and illustrates basic grammatical rules concerning parts of speech, sentences, elements, clauses, phrases, and common problems of usage.
- Language Dictionaries
- Comprehensive index of online dictionaries with 800 dictionaries in more than 160 different languages. Intuitive index includes glossaries of specialized terminology and online grammars.
- Style Manuals and Citation Guides
- List of all-purpose style manuals, specialized manuals, bibliographies of style manuals, and several guides to term paper writing and manuscript preparation.
- Wilton’s Word & Phrase Origins
- A list containing the origins of over 300 colorful and/or colloquial words and phrases.
- Writing Tips
- Advice on various elements of the writing process. From the Writers' Workshop at the University of Illinois.
On this Page