The Library supports community literacy by providing space for volunteer tutors, adult new reader materials, instructional CD-ROMs, GED study guides, contact lists for literacy programs, and suggested books appropriate for various reading levels.
GED Practice Test
Taking the GED practice test enables you to:
- Determine if you are ready to take the official GED test
- Gain experience in taking the test
In collaboration with Great Oaks Institute of Technology and Career Development, and Cincinnati Public School’s ABLE Program, we also offer scheduled GED Practice Testing at selected library locations. Please note:
- Pre-registration is required. Contact the Education and Homework Support Department by phone (513-369-4570) or email to register.
- Testers must show proof of identity to be admitted to the testing session. The only acceptable forms of identification are: Passport, State ID Card, and Driver’s License.
- The test takes approximately 4-5 hours to complete and must be completed in one testing session. Testers may bring a snack and drink.
- Test results will be mailed to you in about three weeks from Great Oaks Institute of Technology and Career Development, or Cincinnati Public School’s ABLE Program.
If you are under 18 years of age or require special testing accommodations, contact Cincinnati Public Schools ABLE Program (513-363-6100) or Great Oaks Institute of Technology and Career Development (513-771-8881) for testing information. For other practice testing locations, contact Cincinnati Public Schools ABLE Program (513-363-6100) or Great Oaks Institute of Technology and Career Development at (513-771-8881)
Getting ready to take the GEDtest? We’ve got the resources—from phone numbers to websites to study materials—you’ll need to succeed!
Books, videos, and DVDs to help you study
- Cracking the GED
- GED Success
- Master the GED
- GED Connection VHS
- GED: Language Arts, Writing VHS, DVD
- GED: Language Arts, Reading VHS, DVD
- GED: Mathematics DVD
- GED: Science VHS, DVD
- GED: Social Studies VHS, DVD
- Steck-Vaughn offers online practice tests. You must register for an account before you take the test.
- 4 Tests.com also offers a variety of practice tests, including the GED.
- Testing & Education Reference Center. You’ll need a library card number and PINto sign in, but this database has great practice tests as well as the full-text of some GED study guides.
- Learning Express Library. This practice test database also requires your library card number and PIN. Register to create an account and start practicing.
- Literacy Link (Kentucky Public Television) offers practice tests and online lessons in conjunction with the video series GED Connection.
Need some help studying? There are GED classes all over town. You’ll find a few listed below. For referrals to over 70 programs for adults, contact the Literacy Network of Greater Cincinnati at 513-621-7323.
- Cincinnati Public Schools ABLE/GED. Classes at various locations in Cincinnati neighborhoods. Call 513-363-6100 for details.
- Great Oaks Institute of Technology and Career Development. Locations in various Cincinnati and suburban neighborhoods. Check their website for a program near you, or call 513-771-8881.
- Literacy Center West offers GED preparation and job readiness classes at Price Hill and Camp Washington locations. Call 513-244-5062.
- Lower Price Hill Community School. Free classes with childcare for GED students (call first to see if space is available). Check their website for more information, or call 513-244-2214.
- Mercy Neighborhood Ministries. East Walnut Hills center offers ABLE/GED, computer classes, and job training. Call 513-751-2500.
- Urban Appalachian Council Adult Basic & Literacy Education, job readiness skills, and social services in the East Price Hill area. Call 513-251-0202.
- The YWCA offers an ABLE/GED program. Call 513-241-7090 for more information.
The GED practice test
The practice test is free and it’s a good way to see how you’ll do on the real GED test.
- Public Library of Cincinnati and Hamilton County. Call 513-369-4570 for dates and times and to register.
- Cincinnati Public Schools Call 513-363-6100 for details.
- Cincinnati State Technical and Community College. Call 513-569-1894 for details.
- Great Oaks Institute of Technology and Career Development. Call 513-771-8881 for details.
- Lower Price Hill Community School has childcare for GED students while they take the practice test (call first to see if space is available). Check their website for more information, or call 513-244-2214.
Taking the GED test
For information about testing, call the Cincinnati Public Schools (513-363-6100). The Ohio Department of Education's website has answers to frequently-asked-questions and contact information if you have further questions. You can also register online to take the test at a testing center near you. Online registration enables you to check the State of Ohio website for your application status and retrieve your scores online. The testing fee for the official GED test is $40. Selected testing sites in the Cincinnati area:
- Cincinnati State Technical and Community College, 3520 Central Parkway, Cincinnati, OH 45223, 513-569-1894
- Diamond Oaks, 6375 Harrison Ave., Cincinnati, OH 45247, 513-574-1300
- Live Oaks, 5956 Buckwheat Rd., Milford, OH 45150, 513-575-1900
- Scarlet Oaks, 3254 E. Kemper Rd., Cincinnati, OH 45241, 513-771-8810
For testing sites outside Hamilton county, see the Ohio Department of Education’s list.
Getting your scores or ordering a transcript for school or an employer
If you registered online to take the GED, you can get your scores by signing in to the SAFE account you created. If you don’t have an online account, or you need an official copy of your transcript, request your transcript or a copy of your diploma on the Ohio Department of Education’s website. Requests for transcripts take approximately two weeks to process. You can also get a copy of this form at your local library.