Library service to the Oakley community began in 1910, when a deposit station opened in Barton’s Drug Store. A full-service branch opened in rented quarters near the 20th Century Theater in 1926. In 1940, a permanent branch library was established at the corner of Gilmore and Madison Road and served the community until 1986. Architect Bernard Fields designed a new 7,100 square foot facility, which was built on the same site, and dedicated in May of 1989. Design features include skylights and cathedral windows, which provide a bright, airy atmosphere.