Library service to Westwood began in 1899 when a deposit station opened in the neighborhood. Ten years later, a small library substation opened in Westwood School. The current building on Epworth Avenue was dedicated in 1931. Notable features of the Spanish Mission style facility include a stone fireplace, a balcony above the circulation desk, and solid oak shelving and trim throughout the building. The Westwood Branch Library was added to the National Register of Historic Buildings in 1974. In 2002, the branch underwent an extensive renovation and expansion project that respects and preserves the character of the original design, yet includes a number of modern conveniences such as an entrance tower equipped with a wheel chair lift and reading areas for teens and children.